BRIEF-Galane Gold reports qtrly production

2016-07-04 16:39:08

July 4 Galane Gold Ltd :* For three months ended June 30, 2016 production from Mupane mine was 7,855 ounces, an increase of 2,027 ounces on previous quarter * Reports a significant increase in quarterly gold production * Says focused on its second main goal for 2017, resumption of production at Galaxy Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: (Bengaluru Newsroom: +1-646-223-8780)

BRIEF-Osisko Mining announces $25 mln bought deal flow-through equity financing

2016-06-27 15:14:22

June 27 Osisko Mining* Announces $25 million bought deal flow-through equity financing * Underwriters to purchase 7.6 million flow-through common shares of corp at average price of about $3.33 per flow-through share * Osisko Mining says proceeds from offering will be used to fund "Canadian exploration expenses" related to Osisko's projects in Ontario and Quebec. Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: (Bengaluru Newsroom: +1 646 223 8780)

Mateen altered looks, researched anti-psychotic drugs before attack: acquaintance

2016-06-23 15:01:41

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. On the morning before the massacre at Orlando’s Pulse gay nightclub, shooter Omar Mateen drastically altered his appearance, shaving his head and face, and seemed agitated and surly, said an acquaintance who saw him that day.Mateen also talked about staying up all night to do online research into anti-psychosis medication, the acquaintance said in a interview. The acquaintance requested anonymity, saying authorities had asked him to keep quiet.The 29-year-old gunman, who killed 49 people and wounded 53 in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, called himself an "Islamic soldier" and pledged allegiance to the Islamic State militant group before being fatally shot by police after a three-hour siege.    The FBI would not comment on the acquaintance’s remarks, but several senior U.S. sources told Reuters the investigation was moving more toward the belief that Mateen's motives were personal rather than political."It looks increasingly like this may have been the act of a seriously troubled individual whose personal problems dwarfed any last-minute inspiration from radical groups," said a senior U.S. official familiar with the investigation, speaking on condition of anonymity.Authorities believe Mateen, a U.S. citizen of Afghan descent, was self-radicalized and acted alone in the rampage. He seems to have been a troubled youth, disciplined dozens of times in school and had his aspirations to become a policeman dashed when he was expelled from the academy.     The acquaintance, a resident at the PGA Village in Port St. Lucie, Florida, where Mateen worked as a gate security guard, said he noticed signs of deteriorating behavior a few weeks before the massacre.He had passed the gate for three years, meeting Mateen several times a week and exchanging friendly small talk. About three weeks before the attack, he noticed Mateen seemed agitated and asked him if he was all right. Mateen said he was worn out from staying up all night to research psychiatric medication, although he did not say he was taking specific drugs. “He’d been real worried about whether or not he’d slipped into psychosis," the acquaintance said. “He wasn’t as friendly. He was obsessed with researching medication online.”The acquaintance said he thought it was strange that Mateen would confide to him his concerns about his mental health, because they were not very close and he did not know anything about Mateen's personal life, including whether he was married or had children."The last month, he looked worried, he looked upset, he looked confused," the acquaintance said. "He didn’t seem himself." In the early morning, about 18 hours before the June 12 attack, the acquaintance said he drove up to the gate but Mateen was not there to open it as usual. In a couple of minutes, he appeared, silent and with a completely transformed look - a shaved head and face, without his usual short whiskers and glasses.When asked if he was OK, the usually polite Mateen responded: “What’s it to you, anyway?" (Additional reporting by Jon Walcott and Mark Hosenball in Washington; Editing by Peter Cooney)

British lawmaker shot dead, EU referendum campaigns suspended

2016-06-17 01:27:16

BIRSTALL, England A British member of parliament was shot dead in the street on Thursday, causing deep shock across Britain and the suspension of campaigning for next week's referendum on the country's EU membership.Jo Cox, 41, a lawmaker for the opposition Labour Party and a vocal advocate for Britain remaining in the European Union, was attacked while preparing to meet constituents in Birstall near Leeds in northern England. Media reports said she had been shot and stabbed. West Yorkshire regional police said a 52-year-old man was arrested by officers nearby and weapons including a firearm recovered. "We are not in a position to discuss any motive at this time," said Temporary Chief Constable Dee Collins.One witness said a man pulled an old or makeshift gun from a bag and fired twice. "I saw a lady on the floor like on the beach with her arms straight and her knees up and blood all over the face," Hichem Ben-Abdallah told reporters. "She wasn't making any noise, but clearly she was in agony."The lawmaker's husband Brendan said: "She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now: one, that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her."The rival referendum campaign groups said they were suspending activities for the day, with the Remain camp saying its activities would also be suspended on Friday. Prime Minister David Cameron said he would pull out of a planned rally in Gibraltar, the British territory on the southern coast of Spain.Cameron said the killing of the mother-of-two, who had worked on U.S. President Barack Obama's 2008 election campaign, was a tragedy."We have lost a great star," the Conservative prime minister said. "She was a great campaigning MP with huge compassion, with a big heart. It is dreadful, dreadful news." It was not immediately clear what the impact would be on the June 23 referendum, which has polarized the nation into pro- and anti-EU camps. But some analysts speculated it could boost the pro-EU "Remain" campaign, which in recent days has fallen behind the "Leave" camp in opinion polls.Britain's sterling currency rose against the dollar after news of the attack, adding around two cents. Finance minister George Osborne and Bank of England Governor Mark Carney scrapped major speeches planned for Thursday evening and the International Monetary Fund said it had delayed the publication of a report on the British economy. 'HORRIFIC MURDER' Media reports, citing witnesses, said the attacker had shouted out "Britain first", which is the name of a right-wing nationalist group that describes itself on its website as "a patriotic political party and street defence organisation". But the deputy leader of the group, Jayda Fransen, completely distanced it from the attack, which she described as "absolutely disgusting". West Yorkshire's elected Police and Crime Commissioner said "our information is that this is a localised incident, albeit one that has a much wider impact".Gun ownership is highly restricted in Britain, and attacks of any nature on public figures are rare. The last British lawmaker to have been killed in an attack was Ian Gow, who died after a bomb planted by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded under his car at his home in southern England in 1990. Britain's Union Jack flag was flying at half-mast over the Houses of Parliament in London, while in Birstall hundreds of people attended a vigil at a local church.Colleagues expressed their shock and disbelief at the death of Cox, a Cambridge University graduate who had spent a decade working for aid agency Oxfam in roles including head of humanitarian campaigning and was known for her work on women's issues.She won election to parliament for northern England's Batley and Spen district at the 2015 general election, and lived with her husband and children on a traditional Dutch barge moored on the Thames near the Tower of London. "We've lost a wonderful woman, we've lost a wonderful member of parliament, but our democracy will go on," Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said in a televised statement. "As we mourn her memory, we'll work in her memory to achieve that better world she spent her life trying to achieve."Labour lawmaker Sarah Champion said: "She's a tiny woman, five feet nothing and a lion as well - she fights so hard for the things she believes in. I cannot believe anyone would do this to her."Police said a 77-year-old man was also assaulted in the incident and suffered injuries that were not life-threatening.BBC TV and other media showed a picture of the alleged suspect, a balding white man, being apprehended by police. Temporary Chief Constable Collins said a "very significant investigation with large numbers of witnesses" was under way."We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident," she said.The last attack on a British legislator was in 2010, when Labour member and ex-cabinet minister Stephen Timms was stabbed in the stomach at his office in east London by a 21-year-old student who was angry over his backing for the 2003 Iraq war.In 2000, a Liberal Democrat local councillor was murdered by a man with a samurai sword at the offices in western England of lawmaker Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack. (Reporting by Kylie MacLellan, Michael Holden, Estelle Shirbon, David Milliken and William Schomberg; Writing by Michael Holden; Editing by Pravin Char)

After deadly Tel Aviv attack, Israel suspends Palestinian permits

2016-06-09 23:22:29

JERUSALEM The Israeli military on Thursday revoked permits for 83,000 Palestinians to visit Israel and said it would send hundreds more troops to the occupied West Bank after a Palestinian gun attack that killed four Israelis in Tel Aviv.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the assault by two gunmen on Wednesday in a trendy shopping and dining market near Israel's Defence Ministry, but Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups were quick to praise it.The assailants came from near Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. They dressed in suits and ties and posed as customers at a restaurant, ordering a drink and a chocolate brownie before pulling out automatic weapons and opening fire, sending diners fleeing in panic.Two women and two men were killed and six others were wounded. The attack followed a lull in recent weeks after what had been near-daily stabbings and shootings on Israeli streets. It was the deadliest single incident since an attack on a Jerusalem synagogue in November 2014 that killed five.The Tel Aviv gunmen, cousins in their 20s who, security experts said, appeared to have entered Israel without permits, were quickly apprehended. One of them was shot and wounded.The other, in a bizarre twist, was picked up inside the nearby apartment of an off-duty police officer who initially mistook the attacker for an innocent bystander fleeing the scene, the police said."It is clear that they spent time planning and training and choosing their target," Barak Ben-Zur, former head of research at Israel's Shin Bet domestic security agency, told reporters."They got some support, although we don't know for sure who their supporters are," he said, adding that they appeared to have used improvised automatic weapons smuggled into Israel.The attack, as families were enjoying a warm evening out at the tree-lined Sarona market, took place a few hundred yards from the imposing Defence Ministry in the center of Tel Aviv, a city that has seen far less violence than Jerusalem. After consultations with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the military said it was rescinding some 83,000 permits issued to Palestinians from the West Bank to visit relatives in Israel during the ongoing Muslim holy month of Ramadan.U.N., EU CONDEMNATIONAt an emergency meeting, Israel's security cabinet discussed punitive measures against attackers, including destroying their homes more quickly, and efforts to bolster the number of security guards in public places, an official said.The army announced that two battalions would be deployed in the West Bank to reinforce troops stationed in the area, where the military maintains a network of checkpoints and often carries out raids to arrest suspected militants. Israeli battalions are comprised of around 300 troops. Such measures, including restrictions on access to Jerusalem's Aqsa Mosque compound, the holy site in the heart of the Old City that Jews refer to as Temple Mount, have in the past lead to increased tensions with the Palestinians. After the attack, fireworks were set off in parts of the West Bank and in some refugee camps people sang, chanted and waved flags in celebration, locals said.Hamas spokesman Hussam Badran called it "the first prophecy of Ramadan" and said the location of the attack, close to the Defence Ministry, "indicated the failure of all measures by the occupation" to end the uprising.Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas issued a statement saying he rejected "all operations that target civilians regardless of the source and their justification". During the past eight months of violence, Israel's government has repeatedly criticized Palestinian factions for inciting attacks or not doing enough to quell them.The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the largest group in the Palestine Liberation Organization after Abbas's Fatah, described the killings as "a natural response to field executions conducted by the Zionist occupation".The group called it a challenge to Avigdor Lieberman, Israel's new defense minister, who must decide how to respond to the violence, possibly with tighter security across the West Bank.Lieberman said that Israel would start holding onto the bodies of Palestinians killed while carrying out attacks, rather than returning them to their families for burial, according to his spokesman. It was unclear how long that measure would last.The United Nations' special coordinator for the Middle East, Nickolay Mladenov, condemned the shootings and expressed alarm at the failure of Palestinian groups to speak out against the violence. The European Union did the same.Netanyahu visited the scene minutes after arriving back from a two-day visit to Moscow. He described the attacks as "cold-blooded murder" and vowed retaliation."We will locate anyone who cooperated with this attack and we will act firmly and intelligently to fight terrorism," Netanyahu said. (Writing by Luke Baker, additional reporting by Dan Williams and Ari Rabinovitch in Jerusalem and Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza; editing by Dominic Evans and Robin Pomeroy)

Older PostNewer Post
Virginia's voter ID law challenged in federal trial
HIGHLIGHTS-Bank of England Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent at Reuters Newsmaker event
At least 27 dead after Islamists seize luxury hotel in Mali's capital